Apple Pecan Cake
Servings 2 People
- 3 c Sugar
- 2 t baking soda
- 1-1/2 t Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Salt
- 3/4 c veg oil
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/2 t vanilla
- 6 1/4 inch granny smith apples peeled and sliced (tossed in brandy)
- 1 c Toasted Pecans chopped
- 3 c Flour
- Sift sugar. Mix sugar with baking soda, cinnamon and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk oil, eggs and vanilla together.
- Add to the first mixture and mix all together.
- When the mixture is smooth, add apples and pecans. In four batches, mix in flour.
- Pour batter into an oblong baking pan and bake at 300 degrees for 1 hour or until a toothpick comes out clean.
Serve warm with ice cream or whipped cream.
Hot Caramel Bananas with Vanilla Ice Cream
Servings 4 People
- 4 large bananas
- 1 c brown sugar
- 1/2 c Butter
- 1 Tbsp rum
- 1/2 c raisins
- Melt the brown sugar, butter and rum and simmer until it is thick.
- Add bananas and raisins and cook until bananas are warm.
- Don't over cook.
Have the ice cream already scooped in dishes, top with the bananas and serve immediately.
Either pour into glasses or cool in one bowl. Serve with whipped cream.
- 8 oz semi sweet chocolate
- 1/4 c water
- 1 c egg whites
- 1 c whipping cream
- 2/3 c Sugar
- In a double boiler, melt chocolate and water together. Stir as it melts; if it is not smooth and kind of "chalky" add a bit more water.
- When it is melted it should be smooth and a thick liquid, set aside.
- Whip the egg whites and sugar until a thick meringue, set aside.
- Whip the cream until stiff.
- Fold the meringue into the chocolate and then the whipped cream.
Serving Suggestions: Either pour into glasses or cool in one bowl. Serve with whipped cream. Angelfood Parfait: Break pieces of angel food cake into glasses or bowl and layer or fold with the mousse. Mousse Parfait ideas: Mini marshmallows Caramel sauce Toasted nuts Sliced banana, strawberries or mango Additional Comments: Instead of water use coffee or espresso for flavoring. Orange zest is a good addition.
Poached Pears and Berries in Port, Plus More!
Servings 2 People
- 2 firm pears peeled, cored and cut into quarters
- 1 c Strawberries thickly sliced
- 1 c blackberries
- 1 c port
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- In a saucepan, simmer the port, sugar and spices for 2 minutes.
- Add the pears and simmer until al-dente.
- Remove the pears and chill.
- Add the berries to the simmering liquid and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove and chill.
- Simmer the liquid until it begins to thicken and chill.
- When chilled, combine the berries and syrup.
Serving Suggestions: Assembly ideas: Pears in a bowl, scoops of vanilla bean ice cream topped with berry syrup (hot or cold). Toasted pound cake on plate, pears, ice cream, berries, whipped cream. Parfait glasses layered with pound cake, pears, berry syrup topped with whipped cream.