Perfect Mashed Potatoes
Servings 2 People
- 4 large boiling potatoes peeled
- 4 Tbsp Butter
- 2/3-3/4 c Milk heated
- Salt pepper
- Optional: garlic butter, pesto, basil, sun-dried tomatoes, strong cheese
- Cut the potatoes into circles 1 inch thick, cover with salted water in a saucepan.
- Bring to a boil and simmer until tender.
- Drain, return to saucepan and add butter.
- Crush the pulp with a masher using an up and down motion. Don't over mix.
- Add the heated milk and mix with a gentle up and down motion.
- The potatoes should be fluffy. It is better to have them a little thin at first as they "set up" as they sit.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
I personally don't like the flavor of white pepper and don't use it. Some don't like to see black specks in their food. It is up to you. A ricer is an option instead of a masher. It is hard to get the right texture by using an electric beater. It tends to over whip and the potatoes can get gummy.
Please follow and like us: