Coho Salmon with California Kimchi
- 4-6 weeks before you want to use the kimchi you do this:
- 1 head Cabbage cut in half inch dice
- 1 Green and Red Bell Pepper cut into half inch dice
- 2 Carrots sliced thinly
- 2 Red Onion diced
- 1 tsp Crushed Chilies or a favorite pepper for heat
- 1 gal water
- 1 Tbsp Salt
- Ceramic crock or food service plastic vessel
- Fill crock with chopped product. Combine water and salt and dissolve.
- Pour over vegetables. Place an inverted plate into liquid with an inch of water over the plate.
- Place an oversized piece of plastic wrap over the top. Place a glass weight on the plate over the plastic to keep the plate submerged.
- Set on counter or shelf for about 4-6 weeks depending on how fermented you want it. I do 6 weeks.
- Check weekly to see if a white film has formed. If so, skim off white film and replace the plastic cover. I have read that there can be other films to form but I have not had this happen.
- When Kimchi is ready, poach the salmon in water with a squeeze of lemon.
- Place poached salmon on a platter & top with the Kimchi.
- Serve with a salad or rice.
I have done Brussels sprouts and raw small cucumbers with dill and onion. They make the crunchiest "pickles" you have ever had. No cooking!
Please follow and like us: