Poached Pears and Berries in Port, Plus More!
Servings 2 People
- 2 firm pears peeled, cored and cut into quarters
- 1 c Strawberries thickly sliced
- 1 c blackberries
- 1 c port
- 1/2 c Sugar
- 1/4 tsp Allspice
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Black Pepper
- In a saucepan, simmer the port, sugar and spices for 2 minutes.
- Add the pears and simmer until al-dente.
- Remove the pears and chill.
- Add the berries to the simmering liquid and simmer for 2 minutes.
- Remove and chill.
- Simmer the liquid until it begins to thicken and chill.
- When chilled, combine the berries and syrup.
Serving Suggestions: Assembly ideas: Pears in a bowl, scoops of vanilla bean ice cream topped with berry syrup (hot or cold). Toasted pound cake on plate, pears, ice cream, berries, whipped cream. Parfait glasses layered with pound cake, pears, berry syrup topped with whipped cream.
- 3 c Strawberries small (if unavailable use large ones but cut in quarters)
- 2 Tbsp Curacao or other orange-flavored liqueur
- 4 Tbsp Orange Juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice freshly squeezed
- 1 Tbsp Orange Zest grated
- Whipped cream with powdered sugar and vanilla
- Mint to garnish
- Toss the strawberries with the liqueur, lemon juice, orange juice and zest.
- When ready to serve, place strawberries in individual bowls or stemware and garnish with mint.
- Serve with whipped cream.
Refrigerate strawberry mixture no longer than 30 minutes or the strawberries will become soggy.